Friday, June 6, 2008

Day 7: Let's Talk Colorado

I did a terrible job packing and ran out of clothes so the natural thing to do was lug my ForceFlex garbage bag into the hotel. So ghetto. Ugh.



After our 1pm checkout (we've stopped trying to leave at a decent hour since day 1), we drove to the nearest Starbucks to get our fix. I got my usual tall soy chai misto. Surprisingly, JJ went with a regular iced latte instead of her usual quintuple shots of espresso! I've learned many things about Jina on this trip and topping this list is her insatiable desire for coffee.


I am ashamed to admit that because we were so famished by this time we actually ate lunch at Panda Express. EEEK. A very temporary lapse in judgment.

As much as we love journeying west, it was time for something new. Unfortunately, our new route doesn't take us to LAS VEGAS, Las Vegas so we made a pit stop to the one in New Mexico. Close enough. But not at all.




As we drove towards Colorado, we couldn't help but soak in the scenery and the sun. And guess what? Five hours later, I got a farmer's tan. I say better than no tan.


Check out that impala! What a wicked ride.



We missed the official "Welcome to Colorado"...what a shock. This was the best we could do to make up for it.



This view of CO is drastically different from the miles of barren land in Texas.




We're definitely having a ton of fun. Every day something triggers uncontrollable laughter and brings us to tears.





Thanks to Anne's terrific recommendations, we scrapped our plans for Denver and went straight to Boulder. So glad we did it! Downtown Boulder feels like a mix of Santa Monica's Third Street Promenade and Old Pasadena. Our favorite city by far!








We walked along the cobblestone streets and took a seat outside a sushi restaurant to enjoy the atmosphere.



So satisfying.



As full as we were, couldn't pass up gelato!




Chocolate coconut and California fig.



If you're a fan of fig, this heavenly flavor is for you. I've never had gelato/ice cream this good.




Time to get some shut-eye.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

YAY! I knew one day you would crack and start a blog! I really hope you keep this up after you move. I love the food pics, although some make me feel queasy (not your fault, I think you know the reason!) and I was so confused why you are taking such a weird route (Stuart told me it was intentional, not accidental). You have been linked!

Brooke said...

P.S. Are you sure you don't need a place to stay in Utah? My parents have 3 empty bedrooms in their house in Provo, will you be passing through there?

Anonymous said...

What's up Brooke!

Haha! Our route is kind of strange. Figured it's time to explore greener areas and we've heard only the best about Utah and Colorado. We've a few more days so we can definitely make this detour north.

thanks for offering your parents' house! we're spending tonight at Moab by Arches Nat'l Park, but haven't decided where to go next. we'll play by ear.